With so many options available for hearing care these days, it can be hard to know who to trust and how to understand what you’re getting from the process.
Quality and thoroughness are sometimes compromised when it comes to the kind of service and care needed for people to experience optimal treatment outcomes with a compassionate expert leading the way.
And because hearing is such a vital sense in almost every aspect of life, one of the premier places in the Upstate to have your hearing assessed and treated is Upstate Hearing & Balance in Greenville.
Less than a year old, UHB is owned and operated by Doctor of Audiology Kathryn Miles Jackson. Her passion for providing professional, evidenced-based care for people with hearing loss, tinnitus and dizziness led her to found the practice in 2021 after working in ear, nose and throat clinics.
“In my practice, I provide comprehensive, specialty audiology care in a comfortable, efficient private practice setting,” Dr. Jackson said. “We have a commitment to utilizing best practices – including assessing functional listening in background noise to using real-ear verification measures when programming hearing aids. We don’t cut corners.”
UHB services include:
- Hearing test – This first step determines if your hearing is at the proper level and serves to craft a treatment plan, if necessary, to renew your ability to hear.
- Vertigo assessment and treatment – Positional vertigo is assessed and treated in the office, and the practice plans to grow vestibular – balance – assessment and treatment in the future.
- Tinnitus assessment and treatment – Tinnitus often causes buzzing, ringing, whistling or roaring in the ears. An in-depth evaluation of this condition will help to create a specific treatment plan.
- Hearing aid programming – Hearing aids are programmed using “real ear verification” measures – otherwise known as “probe microphone” measurements. A slender, soft tube microphone is inserted into the ear canal to measure the acoustic output of the hearing aid at the ear drum.
- Aural rehabilitation – Steps include adjustment counseling for new users and their loved ones, along with learning to use visual cues, lip reading and retraining your brain to hear sounds you may not have heard in a long time.
- Earwax management – Ear glands sometimes produce more cerumen, or wax, than necessary, to the point of causing pain or ear blockage. UHB removes impacted cerumen.
- Custom hearing protection – Custom-molded earplugs offer a higher degree of comfort and sound protection, especially for hunters and shooters, motorcyclists and musicians. Ear impression services are available for those needing musician monitors or custom earbuds.
- Cochlear implants – UHB works with local otologists to provide cochlear implant evaluations and mapping services for new and experienced users.
No matter your specific need, UHB is committed to creating and delivering a custom-tailored treatment plan for every person.
“It’s all about ensuring the best possible listening out comes,” Dr. Jackson said. “Hearing loss and dizziness affect your ability to connect with your world. Upstate Hearing & Balance addresses those concerns compassionately and efficiently so that people can get back to living their lives to the fullest.”
For more information, visit upstatehearingandbalance.com.
By L. C. Leach III